As this launcher is not designed to allow you to create custom instances, most users will pick it purely to play an existing modpack. If you want to create your own custom instance, you'll need to create a modpack by hand, following the instructions further down this page.
Installing a modpack
For most players, this is all you'll need to do:
- Download and install the Technic Launcher from their website
- Open Technic Launcher and log into your Microsoft or Minecraft account
- Select Modpacks at the top of the window and install the Quilt-based pack you want to use
- Select the pack on the left side of the window and click the Install button in the lower-right of the window
- Once the pack has been installed, click the **Play** button in the lower-right of the window
This will allow you to start playing a Quilt-based modpack that someone else has made.
Creating your own modpack
If you're working on your own Technic modpack, you'll need to provide a
version.json file. While
you'll probably want to try to follow
their official guide, at a very
basic level you'll need to do the following:
- Create a new folder for your modpack
- Create two folders within --
- In the
modsfolder, place the mods you'd like to add to your modpack
- In the
binfolder, place a
version.jsonthat you've downloaded below
Once you've done this, you should be able to upload your modpack via the Technic Dashboard. Once you've finished creating and uploading your modpack, you should be able to install it by following the instructions listed at the top of this page.
Note: You may need to right-click the download button and select Save Link As or similar, depending on your browser.